Sequencing: the Deeper Dimensions
In response to popular demand, we are delighted to offer an intimate residential intensive with two of our very own teacher training faculty. Join Susanne and Graham in rural western France, to deepen your understanding of the physical, energetic and practical aspects of safe and inspiring class sequencing.
In response to popular demand, we are delighted once again to offer a residential intensive with two of our very own teacher training faculty. Join Susanne and Graham in the lovely rural surroundings of Les Passeroses, near Angoulème in western France, to deepen your understanding of the physical, energetic and practical aspects of safe and inspiring class sequencing.
A teacher who has mastered the art of sequencing can transform an otherwise mundane vinyasa class into something truly inspirational. Really effective sequencing requires much more than simply stringing postures together. It needs:
- clarity of purpose
- a good understanding of the mechanics of the body
- recognition of how different postures and practices will impact the practitioner energetically
- the practical teaching skills to transmit this knowledge effectively.
This intensive will help focus and deepen your understanding of how to employ the body’s mechanics together with the profound energetic ideas of yoga to create and deliver class sequences which will inspire your students, and which are safe and effective on all levels – physical, energetic, mental and emotional.
Through an interactive mix of practice and theory, we will explore:
- the balance between symmetry and asymmetry, between contraction and release, between internal and external rotation
- variations on warm-up sequences
- finding neutral and counter poses in dynamic sequences
- creative approaches to balancing the three planes of movement
- using repetition to build strength not strain
- the tantric approach to the body, and how it impacts on sequencing
- the five prana vayus, and how they interact with the five elements of nature
- their relationship with the three gunas – rajas, tamas and sattva – and with the Ayurvedic doshas – pitta, kapha and vata
- how to use sequencing to build the positive qualities of the doshas, and to tap into the ‘subtle doshas’ – tejas, ojas and prana
- the importance of appropriate breath awareness, pranayama and meditation practices in effective sequencing
- how timing and language impact on the effect of a class.
Each day will incorporate a full morning practice taught by either Susanne or Graham, and, throughout the week, there will be practical experiential anatomy sessions, practical sequencing exercises, asana breakdown and modifications, and discussion of some of the philosophical ideas behind sequencing – as well as gyrokinesis, seated and walking meditations, yoga nidra, and more. The intensive will include plenty of time for rest and relaxation, including a half day excursion to a local town.
Les Passeroses was established as a yoga retreat centre in 2004 in an old farmhouse and grounds south of Angoulème. The house retains many original features, with oak floors, exposed beams and stone fireplaces, and the en suite bedrooms and Moroccan influenced salon are simply but stylishly furnished. The yoga studio is fully equipped with mats and props. Outside, the large oval pool is surrounded by wooden decking, and a tiled terrace with panoramic view, as well as a large garden, and plenty of local walks.
Food at Les Passeroses deservedly receives rave reviews. The vegetarian meals use seasonal produce grown in their own gardens and orchard, alongside market bought organic goods and local wine. Weather permitting, meals are served under cover of a charming roofed terrace. Fruit, snacks and hot and cold drinks are also available throughout the day. Massages will also be available.
This intensive is limited to 15 participants, so book early. A small number of single rooms are available (see price details for single supplement): otherwise accommodation is in spacious twin rooms. The price of the intensive does not include travel: from London, we recommend travelling by train to Angoulème (change at Lille Marne la Vallee or Paris); alternatively, the nearest airport is Bordeaux. Transfers to and from Angoulème station (approx. 30 minutes each way) are included in the intensive price; transfers from Bordeaux will incur an extra charge.
PLEASE SEE THE PROSPECTUS IN THE LINK OPPOSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT LES PASSEROSES.
If you would like to see more pictures of the venue, please see the Les Passeroses webpage here or read through this wonderful blog post that one of our attendees from the 2016 course documented about her experience here .
On completion, you will receive a Yogacampus certificate of attendance.
What our students say
It was a wonderful week! Amazing teachers, wonderful group, beautiful spot. I feel very privileged to have been a part of it! Anne Fossemalle on Sequencing: the Deeper Dimensions France Retreat, June 2016