Remembering Michael Stone: Foundations in Teaching Mindfulness Meditation Online Training
This online course, developed and delivered by the late Michael Stone, provides insights into the art and science of mindfulness. It is designed both for people interested in maturing and developing a personal practice and as a foundation to offering mindfulness-based interventions to others.
Yogacampus was privileged to collaborate with Michael only a few months ago on the development of this special online course; yet another teaching modality that he seemed to take to with incredible ease. We are therefore extremely honoured to launch: Foundations in Teaching Mindfulness Meditation as our first Online Training Course as a way to continue his important work and that of the MST Team who will be managing Michael’s trainings, courses and legacy.
The 9-week course will provide insights into the art and science of mindfulness. It is designed both for people interested in maturing and developing a personal practice and as a foundation to offering mindfulness-based interventions to others in a class-based setting.
The course is linear and structured in its approach, allowing students to explore their own personal journey on a week-by-week basis, with guided videos from Michael, readings and audio practices to help build a base of both knowledge and experience. Students will have 1-week to complete the requirements for each module before being able to move on to the next module as a way to ensure that the whole group begins and ends the training at the same time.
The course includes tuition on:
- the essential skill sets for mindfulness practice. The course includes sample scripts for a wide range of mindfulness practices and an extensive resource section in text, video and audio formats
- how to open to and transform your difficult emotions, feelings and thoughts on a moment to moment basis
- how to help people bring mindfulness and stability to sensations in the body instead of turning to habitual reactivity
- how to bring the peace of meditation into your workplace and relationships
- guidance and tools for adjusting teaching style and content for special populations and what techniques to use when and why
- how to use a relational understanding of mindfulness practices to support moment by moment work with groups or individuals
Each week students will be asked to upload reflective pieces of work and to participate in an online forum that will be moderated by one of Michael’s trusted assistants who continues with his legacy. Please note that, while structured, this is a fluid course designed to foster and promote a reflective self exploration, and therefore will not include graded assignments or direct feedback. Participants will work closely with fellow students to explore and develop their teaching style and experiences allowing for the growth of an organic online Sangha.
This course is for teachers, educators, psychotherapists and anyone with a background in the healing arts who wishes to explore mindfulness meditation in more depth.
Michael Stone designed this course to meet best global standards of practice.
Watch an extract of the training here :
How does the course work?
The course is made of up 9 modules, each to be completed in one week, making the total course 9 weeks long.
Each weekly module consists of the following:
- A weekly video teaching with Michael Stone that can be watched at your convenience.
- A guided audio meditation each week that covers a different meditation technique (available for streaming or download)
- Each week has a short reading and/or practice quiz or assignment.
- We provide you with well organised materials and a forum for class/community participation.
- The 9 modules are broken into small video clips that can be watched at any pace during the week. You will have access to the content for two years.
In addition to the above, students are asked to commit to a daily 30-minute sitting meditation practice. For students with more time, there is also a guided 20-minute meditation that can be practiced in the evenings. Multiple choice questions or assignments are built into each module and require about 10 minutes per week.
What will you learn?
- What meditation is and is not
- Deepen your capacity for presence and stability
- Establishing a personal practice
- Mindfulness and breathing as body-based meditation
- Using your body as a gateway to sensations
- The power of sensations as an opening to awareness
- How to stay with craving
- Overcoming intrusive thoughts
- Building capacity for a wider spectrum of feeling
How does the Online Platform work?
The late Michael Stone was an activist, family man, and teacher of yoga and Buddhism. His method was to slow down traditional yoga sequences and explore them anatomically and psychologically. He continues to be the voice that inspired a new generation of practitioners integrating social change and contemplative practice, and has authored five books, most recently ‘Awake in the World: Yoga & Buddhist Teachings for Living an Engaged Life’.
“Our lives happen in the present moment. Often we are preoccupied and distracted, and we don’t have the skills for inhabiting the body in a way that’s safe, still, and calm.”
You will receive a Yogacampus certificate of completion on submitting all weekly assignments.
What our students say
Amazing teaching. Probably the best course I've been on to date. Love it. Will be next to more when he is here next time! Josipa S. on Embodying Insight: Yoga, Breathing, Meditation and Study , April 2016