All women go through the menopause, usually between the ages of 45-55 but sometimes earlier, which means that there are women in your yoga classes who are experiencing this hormonal transition from fertility to post reproductivity.
The hormone-related symptoms they experience can range from headaches, hot flushes and irritability, anxiety, insomnia and fatigue, lethargy and low mood, joint and muscle pain, digestive issues and weight gain - and many more. Long term health risks include osteopenia and osteoporosis (weakened bones), sarcopenia (muscle loss) and cardio vascular disease. Yoga can significantly help women both manage their symptoms and ease their transition through this natural but often destabilising transition.
You can learn to support women safely in your yoga classes and offer specially modified yoga practices on this CPD course led by Petra Coveney - the founder of Menopause Yoga (2013) and author of a forthcoming book ‘Menopause Yoga – a holistic guide to supporting women on their menopause journey’ to be published by Singing Dragon, in October 2021.
MY combines western medical science with eastern wellbeing to give women a toolkit of techniques to manage their symptoms, and a positive perspective of the menopause as an opportunity for self-growth. Petra’s approach helps educate women to feel empowered, so that they can embrace the menopause.
This live online course is taught over 1 day from 10:00 to 17:00 UK time. Attendance at the full course hours is necessary to obtain a certificate.
Petra will give live webinar-style talks, lead interactive group discussions and demonstrate key Menopause Yoga yoga asana, Pranayama, Meditation, Mudra, Mantra, and how to modify yoga practice for menopause.
- Welcome Introduction and discussion.
- Definitions - What is the Menopause? Western medical science & Eastern wellbeing.
- Stages of the menopause, Symptoms and Solutions (this is an overview only).
- Causes – Biology, Psychology, Society (Culture, Language, and Diversity).
- How yoga can help? Key asana, pranayama, meditation, mantra, mudra.
- How to recognise menopause symptoms in your class,
- How to Modify yoga practice and adapt studio setting.
- Teaching practice in break out rooms.
- Health Risks - signposting to support services.
Who is this CPD open to?
Open to all yoga and movement bodywork teachers men and women all ages.
What will I Learn?
On completion of this course, you will leave with:
- an educated overview of the menopause from perimenopause to post menopause)
- An understanding of the key symptoms of Menopause
- An understanding of the biological causes of Menopause
- How these may manifest in women attending your yoga classes
- How to safely modify yoga asana and make menopausal women feel welcome in your classes
- PLEASE NOTE this 1 day CPD includes some MY techniques but does is not a Menopause Yoga Teacher Training course: please see below for details on the full teacher training.
- Includes a workbook to print and fill in during the training. You are kindly requested not to reproduce these materials which are the copyright of Petra Coveney. Menopause Yoga is legally registered trademark and can only be used by qualified Menopause Yoga teachers.
- Includes a recorded presentation included limited replay for after the CPD day.
- 6 CPD hours from Menopause Yoga, Yogacampus, British Wheel of Yoga and Yoga Alliance Professionals.
A live presentation from Petra is recorded and available for limited replay after the course. HOWEVER the discussions will not be recorded because they may include disclosure of personal information which is confidential and must not be recorded or shared.
100% onnline attendance is required for this course. You will receive a Yogacampus Certificate of Completion detailing 6 CPD hours eligible for CECs.
Meet the Teacher
Petra developed Menopause Yoga as a result of going through an early menopause herself after realising there was no single source of medical advice or group support including yoga classes for menopausal women. She is a qualified Yoga Teacher with a 200+ hour British Wheel of Yoga diploma who holds an additional 200+ Yoga Alliance training qualification in Inner Axis for people experiencing stress and anxiety. She also holds a 50 hour diploma in Restorative Yoga trained by Anna Ashby and an extra 50 hours for Tapasaya Hot Yoga, trained by Kirsten Stewart.
Petra was the first yoga teacher to be accepted into the British Menopause Society for medical and health practitioners, and runs workshops with Dr Louise Newson – a leading educator and campaigner for menopause women’s rights. She was the first person to launch the UK’s first professional accredited course to train other teachers to support women going through menopause. She also runs workshops in Menopause Yoga and workshops for people on managing stress, anxiety, insomnia.
Menopause Yoga Teacher Training
Please note that this is a Menopause Awareness workshop. The content of this workshop is aimed at raising awareness of the menopause, how yoga can help and how to modify your teaching to accommodate menopausal women safely in your own classes.
If you wish to gain qualification to teach using the full Menopause Yoga toolkit, you are directed to the 40-hour Menopause Yoga Teacher Training course, accredited by the British Wheel of Yoga and Yoga Alliance Professionals.
MYTT DATES FOR 2023 ARE TBC - we will announce asap, please register yourself to the waitlist for one of the sold out 2022 courses to be notified first.