Restorative Yoga is a Relaxation practice for Conscious Deep Rest.
Rest is not self-indulgence, Rest is not optional;
Rest is self-preservation, Rest is respect for life.
- Adelene Cheong
To ‘rest’, to ‘relax’ and to ‘restore’ is a natural vital process in our lives. Rest supports optimal physiological functioning, and promotes healing and growth. During rest, one’s autonomic nervous system switches from sympathetic-dominance to parasympathetic-dominance, regeneration and restoration is accelerated. Research has shown that relaxation and rest is essential to everyone of all ages and culture, size and shape.
Why do we practice Restorative Yoga?
- To support health and vitality, an antidote to stress
- To replenish moments of depletion and fatigue at every level
- To restore mental clarity and resilience
- To reconnect to our innate true nature
- To live with capacity for greater awareness and equanimity
- To offer the best version of ourselves to the world
Come and learn the science and art of Restorative Yoga, the skills to practice active relaxation. This immersion supports ample space and time for learning, reflection and integration. Whether your intention is to deepen personal understanding of restorative practices, or to offer it to family and friends, or to teach and share this healing practice, there will be comprehensive coverage of both the theoretical and practical application of restorative yoga.
What Will I Learn?
This comprehensive immersion offers 35 hours of study and practice of :
- Fundamental Restorative Poses: Alignment, Energetic expression, Emotional and Psychology of each pose
- Physiology of relaxation, and the Autonomic Nervous System
- Continuum of consciousness
- Relaxation skills / tools
- Sensory & somatic intelligence
- Sequencing a practice
- Variations to adapt and modify, creative use of props
- Teaching skills (In-person and online)
- Adjustments and touch
- Self Practice, Group vs One-to-one Practice
- Five Kosha (Physical, Energetic, Emotional, Mental, Pure Being)
- The process of reflection and integration
Who is the Course for?
For yoga teachers or yoga therapists who wish to incorporate Restorative yoga into their teaching. Also open to serious yoga students who wish to learn about Restorative yoga.
The books are only as recommended texts, not compulsory.
Please note that you are encouraged to read and have with you each day of the training, Relax and Renew, by Judith H. Lasater (2011), Restore and Rebalance, by Judith H. Lasater (2017)
Video resource: Relax and Restore Series 1 by Adelene Cheong (2017). Video resource is included for download on this course.
- A colour copy workbook with photos
- Relax and Restore Series 1 by Adelene Cheong (2017) recordings downloadable for lifetime access, (worth RRP £199).
As part of this course you will need the following props:
- 1x yoga mat
- 1x eye pillow / cover
- 1x yoga strap
- 2x bricks, plus blocks if available
- 2x bolsters / large firm pillows
- 4x blankets
- Access to a chair or couch
On completion of this intensive, as well as receiving a Yogacampus certificate of completion, you will also have the option to gain certification as a Relax and Restore Teacher. For this, you will have to attend all sessions of the training (no exceptions!) and complete a project.
If completed successfully, you will be entitled to certification as a Relax and Restore teacher of Restorative yoga and to a lifetime listing on the www.restorativeyogateachers.com teachers directory.
There will be a fee of £110 payable for the marking of this project and lifetime listing. The fee is payable by the end of the training and you will be sent a payment link if wishing to opt in.
Requirements to fulfil for certification:
- Completion of ALL contact hours of training. NO EXCEPTION.
- Completion of Final Project: Three case studies on teaching one-to-one Restorative yoga, and four questions for reflection.
Optional Post Training Support
- Option for one-to-one online sessions with Adelene at a 50% discount for 6 months from training date, for continuous support
- Option to observe / assist Adelene on classes and events
This training qualifies for CPD with YogaAlliance CEP and YAP.
Yogacampus Diversity and Accessibility Bursary
We are offering one part-funded bursary (50% off the full course price) to a dedicated yoga student with a demonstrated financial need and active involvement in a community that could benefit from yoga.
The bursary is provided by Yogacampus – The Life Centre Education, a not-for-profit educational body committed to sharing knowledge and making yoga accessible to all.
Bursary places will be awarded to teachers or trainees who have the ability and commitment to take the course teachings into a disadvantaged community and play their part in the drive to increase accessibility to these profoundly healing practices.
Priority will be given to those who themselves are from marginalised or vulnerable groups or are from a minority ethnic background.
If you wish to apply please complete the application form by 30 September.
Notification of bursary acceptance will be sent out the following week.
Meet the Teacher
Adelene is a senior yoga teacher and leading teacher of restorative yoga, with a particular specialism in yoga for scoliosis. She sees yoga as a journey of continuous, liberating experiences, open to everyone, and continues to be inspired by her main teachers, Judith Hanson Lasater and Donna Farhi, who she regularly assists on workshops and trainings.
Adelene believes in supporting and guiding her students to unveil their fullest potential, through embodiment and experiential exploration. She is particularly interested in the therapeutic applications of yoga. As a leading Restorative Yoga Trainer, she is absolutely committed to a balance of both active asana and restorative practices.
Based in London, Adelene teaches internationally, with a special interest in Yoga for Scoliosis / Backcare, Restorative Yoga, Yoga Nidra and mentoring.
Relax and Renew™: How to teach Restorative Yoga, Level 1
1st October 2021 • Online (Live) • Judith Hanson Lasater & Lizzie Lasater
- Details and booking
Our restorative yoga experts, Adelene Cheong and Lizzie Lasater, join forces in this unique interview where they reveal how their individual journeys led them to...
Yoga Therapy Diploma Faculty, Teacher Training Faculty, Specialist Course and Event Teachers