This course uniquely combines singing bowl and vocal toning training, giving you the ability to help your students de-stress, feel calm and more alive with the sound of singing bowls and your voice.
The course introduces you to singing bowls, vocal toning, chants and mantra singing, space clearing with sound, and care of voice encompassing vocal techniques. All of which will give you the tools to facilitate a sound bath and to incorporate sacred sound and powerful vocal techniques into classes and personal practice.
Anne offers an invitation to explore, expand, and develop your natural healing qualities and creativity through sacred sound, singing, chanting and voice training and care. It explores the essence of sound, experiencing the ease of playing the singing bowl, singing and chanting from the heart. It will help you understand how vibration affects the body and it will help refine hearing and listening skills. The main instrument Anne will use is the Himalayan singing bowl (Goddess Bowl), in conjunction with vocal toning, (used as a sonic diagnostic tool by sonically scanning the body) and mantra and chant.
Anne will show you how to create a sound bath, how to use sound as part of your yoga classes, as well as introduce you to the hugely self-empowering techniques to share and care for your voice, how to pace your spoken word and bring chanting and song into your teaching
You will learn how to play and place the singing bowl directly on the body’s chakras, how to tone (or tune) the body, how to pace your spoken word, chants and songs in a relaxed, loving and safe way. You will explore the ancient pathways within the heartbeat of these instruments as we organically and lovingly weave these skills into a healing savasana sound bath. We will connect and evolve within an ongoing sacred sound community.
No previous experience is necessary and the course is open to students hard of hearing.
Watch Ann's Intro to the Magical Oasis of Sound:
The course is structured around live weekly demonstrations and group learning. After each session you will receive a video, clearly demonstrating all techniques covered in our session. At the end of the course, there is an optional final assignment to design a class, based on what you have learned which will be marked with teacher feedback.
Module One, 12 and 13 June: Introduction to Himalayan Singing Bowls
- Introduction to singing bowls, a shorty history (how they are made and history of the bowls)
- How and when to play a singing bowl, Yoga, Ceremony, Therapeutic, SoundBath.
- The difference between Crystal Bowls and Himalayan Singing Bowls.
- Basic singing bowl techniques, demonstration and explanation of techniques (mallet hold and placement, playing/singing technique)
Module Two, 25 and 26 September: Introduction to Vocal Toning and Sacred Sound
- What is Vocal Toning - a brief introduction to the concept of Vocal Toning, the difference between Singing and Vocal Toning.
- The techniques and practice of Vocal Toning.
- Using Vocal Toning as a diagnostic tool … the vocal MRI scan, to “heart” energetic stagnation and get things moving in a healing flow.
- How Vocal Toning can be incorporated into your Yoga, Healing and Therapeutic practices.
- Sacred Sound Instruments, exploring pure vibrational instruments
- Musical instruments crafted to create pure vibrational sound.
- Exploration of each instrument and its qualities, in relation to the choreography and orchestration of the SoundBath.
- Learn how to play Drum, Rainstick, Sansula and KoshiBells.
Module Three, 23 and 24 October: Introduction to Singing Mantras
Mantras are chanted in a special language, Sanskrit and Gurmukhi, that connects us with our inner sound. They are experiential, so in singing the Mantras you have your own unique connection with the source of Sound. Mantra singing is approached from the heart and soul, no previous singing experience needed! If we can talk, we can sing.
- We will learn how to use your voice in a healing and healthy way.
- How to care for your voice, using gentle vocal exercises to strengthen and get the most from your voice, including spoken and singing voice!
- Demystifying the art of Singing Mantra, finding the heart in your voice
- A loving journey into the world of Sacred Song and Mantra
- How to hold Sacred Singing Space
- Sound Space Clearing: Creating sacred space with sound, and clearing stagnant energies. We will explore the use of Sacred Sound Instruments in Space Clearing, alongside more conventional methods inspired by Karen Kingston and Denise Lynne.
Module Four, 27 and 28 November: Introduction to art of the soundbath
- Orchestration and choreography of the soundbath
- The structure of soundbath
- When, why and where each Instrument is played and placed, where vocal toning can weave in and out of Instruments, and where and how recorded music, poetry, song, meditation can be woven into the sacred mix
- Bringing all the SacredSound elements together, in the orchestration and choreography of SoundBath
We will create and facilitate our Oasis SoundBath and share it with our colleagues as a finale to our time together. Creating our own Art of Sacred Sound, culminating in a sharing of mantra magic song and dance
What Will I Learn?
You will learn how to play and place the singing bowl on the body, how to tone (or tune) the body. You will explore vocal toning, chanting and mantra, learning how to use your voice as a diagnostic instrument, to pace your spoken word, to vary tone to engage and enliven your words, Mantras, Chants and songs and how to weave these skills into a healing savasana Sound Bath and your Yoga Class.
If you choose to do the optional final assignment you will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Who is this Course for?
The course is ideal for yoga teachers and holistic practitioners interested in an introduction to combining sound healing, mantra and song within their yoga/holistic practice and/or class; for musicians who wish to add a healing dimension to their compositions; for anyone wanting to learn how to use singing bowls and voice, and those wishing to enhance their quality of life through the use of sound therapy. All levels welcome; no experience necessary and the course to open to students hard of hearing.
You are required to have a singing bowl (minimum 9 inch diameter) with a low/deep note, together with at least one other instrument (like a drum, rain stick, sansula, koshi bell, Chinese wind gong).
If you need to buy a singing bowl, Anne has sourced some bowls suitable for sound healing and body placement therapy from Nepal (these bowls are called Goddess Bowls). Please e-mail her to view what she has available.
Where to find other Instruments
All the following can supply Chinese wind gongs, sansula, drums and rainsticks:
- Knock on Wood offers a discount for Art of Sacred Sound students (sansula, rainstick (150 cm), Chinese wind gongs (18 inch diameter))
- Hobgoblin in London (drums 18 inch diameter)
- Enlightenment in Glastonbury (all instruments!)
To listen to music for Sound Bath by Anne: www.oasisofsound.com
Meet the Teacher
As a musician and a student of yoga, Anne Malone has a deep understanding of how music and movement flow and unfold with ease and grace, creating a wonderful world of sacred sound. Anne is an internationally recognised singer/songwriter, with a variety of CDs, one of which “Tender Lullaby” was nominated for the NME Awards in 2009 and entered the iTunes top 10 charts. Her passion for music has taken her on a journey of sound from the vibrant music of Dublin in Ireland to the exotic rhythms of Latin America, the eclectic sounds of USA, and the rich folk traditions of Europe. Anne’s love of yoga and meditation has added depth of devotion and physical awareness throughout her journey, and by combining her training in Sacred Sound (Chris James), The Journey (Brandon Bays), Flow Yoga (Shiva Rea) and Shamanic Ceremony (Hart Lodge), she is offering a unique yogic musical exploration.
To listen to music for Sound Bath from Anne Malone: www.oasisofsound.com
Have you ever asked yourself why that song or piece of music moves you so much … or why you happily spend hundreds of pounds...
Specialist Course and Event Teachers