LIVE ONLINE: Very Flexible? Hypermobile? Finding the Middle Way
This half day workshop looks at what hypermobility is and how it affects not only the body but also the mind. How can practitioners and students learn to recognise it and how to work with it? This workshop may be for anybody interested in yoga and hypermobility- you might be hypermobile yourself or you simply want to learn more about this condition to guide your students.
Today’s culture tends to see yoga largely as a tool to make us more flexible, and yogi’s as those who are naturally people who possess greater than average flexibility. However recent research on fascia and stretching is now challenging traditional ideas of what is healthy and what leads to ease of movement. Hypermobility can sometimes look like an advantage in yoga but it does need to be addressed with knowledge and awareness so it doesn’t lead to pain and injury.
For some, hypermobility presents a multitude of problems, others experience almost no symptoms whatsoever. Hypermobility can lend itself to being an elite gymnast or dancer, or it might mean being severely disabled and not being well enough to take part in most everyday activities. Many people with hypermobility are somewhere in between.
There will be plenty of practical work throughout the session, inspired by both, biomechanical and somatic perspectives.
What you will learn?
- What is hypermobility?
- Tests and criteria for hypermobility and Hypermobility Spectrum Disorder
- An overview of Ehlers Danlos and other conditions
- Lesser known symptoms and challenges that frequently come with hypermobility
- Identifying and rebalancing overstretched as well as tight areas, finding strength and stability whilst mobilising stiffer areas
- Guiding and improving proprioception and co ordination
- Finding language that is helpful
- How to adapt your practice in general classes if you are hypermobile
- Ideas on structuring sessions so that awareness and stability are addressed from the very beginning of class
You will receive hand-outs of the power point presentations and links to further reading after the session.
You will receive a Yogacampus Certificate of Completion detailing CPD hours.
What our students say
I absolutely LOVED Susanne and this workshop and her objective and personable approach to this topic and of course, ALL her mega-knowledge. Che Dyer on Very Flexible? Hypermobile? Finding the Middle Way , November 2016