Yogic Heritage - Re-integrating Asana Into Philosophical Context
The final in the 4 part 'Mindful Teaching Series' with Jane and Louise, the purpose of the workshop is to help remind teachers of the values that yoga has to offer beyond asana to integrate in to their classes.
The majority of present day yoga classes are, in truth, asana focussed. In this workshop we remind teachers how much more yoga has to offer us beyond asana. We will explore some key elements of The Yoga Sutras to reveal the precious mindfulness practices that build mental strength and can transform our lives.
Topics that will be covered in this workshop:
• A re-introduction to the Yoga Sutras and the key elements that develop mental strength through mindfulness
• Kriya Yoga – Understanding the nature of the mind and how yoga uses it’s tendencies to move from distraction towards mental focus.
• Sthiram and sukham – using the support of our breath to practice asana mindfully in support of satvika; physical health and mental strength; optimal panic flow
• From the 8 Limbs, the Yamas and Niyamas – guides to support mindfulness during daily life
You can expect from this day:
• Introduction of theory to Yoga Sutras and teaching Kriya Yoga,
• A complete practice integrating theory on embodying mindful breathing using ujjayi, asana cultivating sthira and sukha, mantra with bhavana and pranayama
• Explaining the process of a complete practice; mindfully refining the quality of the breath to coral the flow of prana and cultivate satva
• Re-introduction to 8 Limbs, focus on Yamas and Niyamas as mindfulness practices for daily life
The video is an extract from the ‘Watch your Back – A Healthy Approach to Teaching Spinal Alignment’ workshop in December 2018 courtesy of Roscoe Rutter Ltd
The Mindful Teaching Series is a set of four 1 day workshops that will cover various topics to improve yoga teaching skills.
15th September 2018 – Essential Breath – Breathing Into Physical and Mental Alignment
15th December 2018 – Watch your Back – A Healthy Approach to Teaching Spinal Alignment
2nd March 2019 – Confident Teaching – Supporting Your Students’ Progression
1st June 2019 – Yogic Heritage – Re-integrating Asana Into Philosophical Context
Book all four workshops together and save £20!
What our students say
Jane is amazing. Such an authentic, beautiful person. Her training was a joyful experience. Lucy Crane on Prana in Action: How to Teach an Integrated Breath-led Practice, August 2018