Yoga as Therapy for Back Problems
Back pain can seriously affect our quality of life and is a major cause of time taken off work. This 2-day workshop aimed at yoga teachers and yoga therapists, will look at some of the most common conditions affecting the back, offering safe and effective ways to assess and advise clients.
Each year some 40% of the population is affected by back pain and it costs around £5 billion in lost working days. Many people with back pain are told by their doctors to take up yoga. It thus behoves yoga teachers and yoga therapists, to know and understand enough about back problems to have the confidence to be able to help such students.
In this workshop you will learn about some of the most common conditions affecting the back, how to determine which asanas might be suitable and which to avoid. Also how to incorporate breathing and mind techniques (the koshas) in order to help relieve pain, mobilise and strengthen the spine and for rehabilitation and problem prevention.
This weekend workshop will cover:
• Anatomy and pathology of common conditions including; herniated disc, facet joint sprain, sciatica, arthritis, scoliosis, sacroiliac joint pain, spondylolisthesis and more
• How to assess and record posture and spinal movements
• Sequences to address common postural imbalances
• Red flag symptoms and contraindications
• Pain relief
• Relaxation positions and techniques
• The role of the mind
• Simple hands on bodywork techniques
• Yoga poses and sequences for different types of problem
• Breathing and energy blocks
The workshop will contain some theory, as well as practical work, and is aimed at yoga teachers, trainee teachers and yoga therapists.
Anna has been teaching yoga for over 35 years, trained and worked as an osteopath, shiatsu practitioner and hypnotherapist and currently focuses on yoga therapy. She is a faculty member on the Yoga Campus yoga therapy diploma course and also taught for many years on the teacher training courses.
What our students say
Brilliant thank you! Gitu on Yoga as Therapy for Back Problems, May 2016